It may be a bad day at work or you had a fight with a friend, a break-up with the love of your life or you may just be feeling lonely. Whatever your problem is, the answer is not in the fridge.
Remember that food is fuel not therapy. So try to stay away from ‘Emotional Eating’ or ‘Stress Eating’. For those who are puzzled over what stress eating is all about and whether they are actually indulging into stress eating, here is a quick biological explanation to it.
Persistent or prolonged stress triggers the adrenal glands (located atop the kidneys) to release the “stress” hormone cortisol which increases appetite. Once a person is de-stressed, cortisol levels fall. But if stress levels are persistently high a person’s stress response gets stuck in the “on” position and cortisol may stay elevated and you overeat.
What can one do to overcome stress eating? Here are the 5 steps that can help you de-stress yourself.
1. Talk to yourself: You overeat because you are avoiding a needed conversation with yourself. Give a few minutes to yourself and ask yourself this question – What is it that is troubling me? Talk it out in front of the mirror if need be or make notes of the problems and its solutions. Fix this appointment with yourself today!
2. Meditate: Just stop thinking too much. Everything needs rest and so does your mind. There are various meditation techniques that you can practice to attain peace of mind.
3. Yoga and exercise: Yoga balances your hormone levels. It teaches you to be more mindful and honour & love your body. You can also work out in a gym or go for a 45 minutes walk daily if that suits you better.
4. Socialise: No comfort food can match the comfort of a family. Spend time with your family or friends. Your chances of emotional recovery are better if you have social support.
5. Sometimes, just indulge: It is absolutely fine to treat yourself sometimes with some fatty, spicy and yummy food. Do not stop yourself from these small pleasures of life. But just remember to do it in limits and balance it with physical and emotional exercises. Afterall, stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS!